Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Google Chrome My New Browser of Choice

Google Chrome 2.0 is the browser I use almost exclusively. I like Chrome because of its sleek, minimalist  design; no tool bars stacked up with all kinds of buttons, title bars, or other clutter. With Chrome I had a no difficulty finding things because there are only a few buttons to click on. The configuration options are so simple that its hard to screw things up.  I like simple...but I like fast even better, and chrome is fast. 

As you would expect, searching is an integral part of Chrome; and Google has added some clever features to make searching easier. Chrome goes beyond Internet Explorer and Firefox by allowing you to search your history page titles as well as your historical page content.  The default search engine for Chrome is Google.  However, you can choose from a list of other search engines, or you can manually add your own search engine. Type 'google crab cakes' to search for crab cakes on Google. The same syntax works for Yahoo, Ask, Live Search, and other sites that are already recognized by Google or that you add to Chrome's collection of search engines.


Chrome uses multiple tabs and each tab runs their own distinct process; if one tab crashes or hangs (for instance, due to a plug-in gone wild), it won't cause the other tabs to blow up. If Chrome crashes altogether you can configure it to restore your most recent session.


Chrome's really good for browsing, but it's also being turned into a platform through which Google intends to deliver more of its OS-neutral Web applications -- Gmail, Docs, and so on. Chrome's design blurs the gap between desktop and so-called "cloud computing." At the touch of a button, Chrome lets you make a desktop, Start menu, or QuickLaunch shortcut to any Web page or Web application, blurring the line between what's online and what's inside your PC. This is another reason why I like Chrome, I use all the Google stuff, so its very easy for me to add shortcuts to my online Google apps.


Some of Chrome's  best features are those aimed at developers: its JavaScript engine, and especially its object inspector for Web pages. The object inspector is really cool, you can manually inject properties into any element on a page and not only see, but interact directly with the results.  Chrome also has a task manger that shows you which tabbed websites are using the most resources: when browsing is slow, you can pinpoint the memory hogs and shut down that web page, or the other pages you are not actively viewing. 


To me Chrome is fast, sleek, and is a innovative browser with flexibility...what more can you ask for?

1 comment:

  1. If you made a comment to this post, I'm sorry I had to delete it because The comment script I installed was bogus...it would not let me reply to my own blog :-(

    ReplyDelete

What say you? I want to hear what you have to say.